Many of you know that my sister and I grew up without a dad. Unfortunately, early in my life he made a choice to sell drugs for a living. Ultimately the police found him at age 32 tied to his bed post shot six times in the head.
I can still recall times as a kid, when I would see dads playing with their son -I would pretend that their son was me.
Well, while I love my dad and have long stopped being mad at him for leaving us, I made a simple vow to one day simply try to be the dad I wished I had.
Just this past Sunday was Father's Day. A day the nation recognizes "dads" for being, well... DADS!
Sometimes this holiday strikes me as odd because I often feel like Chris Rock when, during a stand up comedy act on "being a father," a "dead beat" dad said in a proud, arrogant voice, "I take care of my kids." To that statement Chris Rock responded:
"What?!?! You want a Gold medal for that?"
I love being a dad. It's not an obligation that warrants a medal. It's a privilege.
And I think it's one of the greatest privileges a man could ever have. I thank God for my incredible wife who, in all honesty does her job as a mom so well she makes me look good in the process (thanks babe).
As a Father's Day gift Annett asked my kids separately, a list of questions and then shared the answers with me. I must say, while I was scared to read the answers at first, afterwards my heart warmed with pride.
While I am certainly not perfect by any measure, if there was ever a trade secret for being a great dad I'd have to say it's a combination of spending quality time with them and praying FOR my kids 10x more than I talk to them (and just ask my son... I TALK to them a lot ha ha).
Well, here are their answers. I just thought I'd share them with you. Take it away Annett:
"Happy Father's Day to my best friend, the love of my life. Byron Davis is such an awesome father I don't have room to write about it all here... BUT, I asked the kids a few questions and here were some of the answers. Enjoy! Byron this is for YOU! We LOVE YOU!!!
1. What is something dad always says to you? "Hey Big Man", "Hi Tori Story"
2. How does your dad make you laugh? "Being himself in public", "He tells really funny jokes and being himself."
3. What is his favorite thing to do? "Talk", "Sing and make his family happy."
4. If your dad becomes famous, what will it be for? "Live your Epic Life, his biz thing", "His speaking across America."
5. . What is your dad really good at? "Giving advice", "Singing and naturally being extremely funny!"
6. What is your dad not very good at? "Video Games", "Remembering to do the dishes a lot!"
7. What makes you proud of your dad? "He's a Hard worker", "He's smart, a great friend to everyone, he loves to make people smile - and I like that."
8. How are you and you dad the same? "We are both guys.", "We both love singing and dancing."
9. How are you and your dad different? "He can dance and sing in public", "He can go and speak in front of a huge crowd, and I can get shy."
10. If your dad were a character who would he be? "Superman!!!"
Here's to all the dads around the world whose humble goal is to love their kids into good character, faith in God, compassion, and personal responsibility!
Let's continue to try our best to keep holding it down as dads.
Hey there... If you found this article helpful and you want more food for thought like this download your FREE copy of the Sweet Spot finder tool and you'll also receive very useful content on living your best life, getting paid to be you, and launching a lifestyle business you love. Click here.